Dentistry/Lower ridge absorbed bone

Question
Dr. Tieg, I wear a lower cast metal partial, and I have a lot of absorbed bone, and have lost the height, but still have some ridge the partial grips on. The lower front really sinks down, and my bite is not that great. Do you think a hard or soft reline will help? The partial is only three years old, and I can eat ok with it, but the right side is very uneven, and I cannot afford any type of implants. Thanks

Answer
Denise - Of course, I cannot be sure without examining you, but from your description, it sounds like a hard reline along with a bite adjustment is necessary.  If the adjustment is not made properly, the bone will continue to resorb and any changes in the partial will soon not work sufficiently.  So you need to see a dentist with the ability to balance the bite and redo the appliance.  I suggest that you see a prosthodontist dental specialist to properly do the adjustment and repair of the appliance.

I wish you well and hope you find a prosthodontist to help you.  They do implants, but tell them that you want to repair and correct the partial.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired