Dentistry/Lower ridge absorbed bone

Dr. Tieg, I wear a lower cast metal partial, and I have a lot of absorbed bone, and have lost the height, but still have some ridge the partial grips on. The lower front really sinks down, and my bite is not that great. Do you think a hard or soft reline will help? The partial is only three years old, and I can eat ok with it, but the right side is very uneven, and I cannot afford any type of implants. Thanks

Denise - Of course, I cannot be sure without examining you, but from your description, it sounds like a hard reline along with a bite adjustment is necessary.  If the adjustment is not made properly, the bone will continue to resorb and any changes in the partial will soon not work sufficiently.  So you need to see a dentist with the ability to balance the bite and redo the appliance.  I suggest that you see a prosthodontist dental specialist to properly do the adjustment and repair of the appliance.

I wish you well and hope you find a prosthodontist to help you.  They do implants, but tell them that you want to repair and correct the partial.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude