Dentistry/Novocain numbness that won't wear off!

Question
In June I had a dental procedure for restoring/building a crown on my upper left tooth. The dentist gave me several shots of Novocain and upper and lower teeth and gums got very numb. Two months later my lower lip is still tingling as if the Novocain is just beginning to wear off, but doesn't. The upper tingling and numbness finally is just about gone. This lower numbness feels permanent! What do I do and who do I see for it? My dentist, a very good prosthodontist, has never seen this before. Help! I do a lot of public speaking and it feels just awful. I live in Rockland County, NY.

Answer
Dear Judy:
This is so unfortunate.  Very Very rarely, a nerve can be traumatized during an infection.  When the dentist gives you an infection, especially a mandibular block to anesthetize your lower jaw and consequently your lower lip, the needle has to pass between muscles and it is impossible for the dentist to know what is encountered along the way.  The nerve passes between the muscles and hangs like a "noodle".  Usually, when the needle passes close to it, it just moves out of the way, but if the needle does touch, or nick it, it will cause an injury. Try to catch a wet noodle with a fork in a plate... you'll never get it, but once in a lifetime, you will. Most times, the alerted sensation, or numbness passes within a few days.  However, rarely, the injury can be semi permanent, or very rarely, permanent.  Since the injury in your case did not happen during a surgical procedure, where the nerve could have been cut, physically, I'm inclined to believe that your sensation will return.
There are two people to consult in this case. First, ask your orthodontist for an oral surgeon whom he trusts.  After the evaluation by the oral surgeon, he might refer you to a neurologist for testing.
Be hopeful.
I wish you the very best of luck,

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.