Dentistry/please help me in finding out what this is

hi I was wondering if you could help in finding out what this is I'm 25 I just got back from a trip from the san Diageo I'm from Canada I use to smoke I started to quite when I notice the tonsil in the back of my mouth has reddish bumps that look a lot like granular pharyngitis I'm really worried about if it is cancer or not

Kevin,of course, I cannot be sure without examining you, but what you describe sounds like an inflammatory condition.  My suggestion is to first try rinsing the back of you throat near the tonsils with warm salt water rinses. Do it for 2-3 minutes 4-5 times a day.  If not better within 5 days, get in to see your physician for an evaluation. If not better you might need an antibiotic.

I wish you well and hope you feel well soon.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude