Dentistry/Recovery of Extraction of my Back Left Molar

I had my back left molar taken out almost a week ago. A couple of days after having the molar removed, I was still in pain, so my doctor prescribed me some antibiotics and a pain killer. This weekend I started to feel a pinching on my tongue that made it painful to speak, chew, and swallow. The pain has eased up a bit, but it still hurts to chew and swallow. It feels like some bone is coming through the side of my gums where my tongue is, and I can see a little bone coming up in back where my molar used to be. I never had my wisdom teeth removed, and I am thinking that my wisdom tooth is coming in now that it has room because my molar is gone. Does this sound right? Should I be concerned about the pain? Is my wisdom tooth coming in wrong?

Luke Stromberg

hi luke,
though i cant stake a claim to it(as i havent seen you in person), but with nearly 100% surity i can say that:
a) u arent growing your wisdom tooth so quickly.
b) ur dentist has done a shoddy job of removing your tooth.
c) what you are feeling in your mouth are bony spicules/projections of the erstwhile socket in which your tooth was before extraction.

the reason why i call the job shoddy is because after extraction we are supposed to round off these spicules otherwise they come out after week-ten days.

please go to your dentist and get it sorted. you might also have to get renumbed to get them sorted.
best wishes!

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS

rootcanals, cosmetic dentistry, dental pain, cavities, tooth colored fillings, endodontic diagnosis, post & cores, ceramic veneers, composite fillings, dental whitening, bleaching etc. please remember: i cannot treat you online and neither can i touch your teeth or test their health! i can give you general suggestions and critically evaluate various treatments and offer my advice.

14 years of clinical experience. i am a professor in a postgraduate dental school, in the department of endodontics. my primary field of specialization is in endodontics and conservative dentistry. i am a consultant endodontist in private dental clinics and run my own clinic restricted to conservative dentistry & endodontics since 2006.

DENTAL SPA, JAIPUR (INDIA). Mahatma Gandhi Dental College, jaipur(india)

new york state dental journal journal of contemporary dental practise

BDS, MDS (conservative dentistry & endodontics)