Dentistry/tooth sensitive after shaving to fit a bridge

Greetings Doctor, I have a problem that I am very concerned about.  Unfortunately I lost the tooth behind my incisor, I believe it is called a "False Molar" but cannot be sure. In any case my dentist decided to give me a bridge, during the procedure he seemed to shave down the incisor to make the bridge fit into my mouth. Now that incisor is sensitive to cold, it also is sensitive whenever I bite down on anything.  

There is no sensitivity otherwise just when biting down and drinking cold beverages.

I am very scared now that THIS tooth will also need to be removed because the dentist took away too much enamel or cracked the tooth, is this possible? If this is the case what are my options? I am worried because currently I have a missing false molar as well as a missing M1 so he is doing two bridges to fix the gaps... but if my incisor has to go too will I have a hole there that cannot be fixed?

Also would the dentist be liable for cracking my tooth during the procedure? And does this sound like a cracked tooth or something that can be fixed with bridge readjustment?

Thank you in advance, Alouis

Dear Alouis:
I am so sorry to hear about your problem.  I am also sorry that your question came in just when I left for a family event, and I was not aware of it until now.
In any case... Unfortunately, it is very difficult to understand which teeth you are talking about, since you are not naming the teeth correctly.  However, I can tell you that even when teeth are prepared for bridges, they should NOT be sensitive to any cold or biting force.  In this day and age, there are very few reasons to make bridges between teeth, since implants are a much superior option.  It is better and much more cost effective to NOT cut down teeth next to an empty space and bridge them.  A single implant to replace the missing tooth will serve for many more years and will cost much less in the long run.  It will also make sure that the teeth next to it are not damaged.
The first thing to do is to speak to your dentist.  It might be that the sensitive tooth is just "high" to the bite and a small adjustment might just do the trick.
Second, you must talk to your dentist and understand why he is not presenting implant treatment as the primary option for replacement your other missing teeth.  Insurance guidelines ARE NOT a proper reason for cutting down teeth for bridges.  
If you do not get the proper answers from your dentist, I recommend a second opinion from a Prosthodontist who is the expert in the field of reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. will have a link to a Prosthodontist near you.
Again, a apologize for the delay and I wish you the very best,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.