Dentistry/Antibiotics with tooth extraction

Question
Hi, Dr. Moss,

My daughter is 7 years old and had to be taken to the ER this past Saturday for a toothache. The Er doctor gave her an antibiotic to take for 5 days because he said he thought the tooth was abscessed.
Well, on Tuesday, i took her to the dentist, and she confirmed that my daughter did have an abscess and wants took extract the tooth.  The problem is, she finishes her antibiotic tomorrow and her extraction appointment is a week away.
   I have heard that as soon as you finish your antibiotics, the abscess can come back, and this time be much worse. Is this true? I was wondering if I should call her dentist and see if she can give me another antibiotic to get my daughter through until her appointment, or should i see if she could do it sooner? My daughter was in such pain before she took her antibiotic and i am just very worried that she will be in that much pain for another week.

Any information or advice you could give me would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
 Tracy

Answer
Dear Tracy,
please excuse the delay in responding to a question that demands an early answer.
First, the infected tooth should be removed. It is not healthy to keep it in the mouth even if your daughter is symptom free.
If the course of antibiotics has helped relieve her pain, and there is no swelling, and she has no elevated temperature, then waiting a week before removing the tooth is not a serious problem.
If your dentist has seen your daughter and looked at the tooth;  then depending on the tooth, the x-ray, and the location of the infection she should be able to GUESS whether or not the tooth is likely to flare-up again during the week before the extraction.
This is a judgement call one that takes experience and is not something I would attempt without examining your daughter in person.
Wish I could be more helpful, the sooner the infected tooth is removed the more relaxed you will feel.
All the best,
Dr. Moss

Dentistry

Stephen J. Moss