Hi Doc
Three weeks ago I got a bridge, lower left. The work wasn't really necessary, as I had been without a tooth there for a long time. However, I have a very good dental plan and am not afraid of dental work so I had it done.
I almost regret it now, as food seem to find its way there all the time, and I have to floss under it daily with a threader. This was not the case with my other bridge on the other side, same place, that I got over 20 years ago.
Is this a typical 'breaking in' thing for a new bridge? Will the gums eventually grow up to meet the bridge? I don't need a threader on that side. Thanks for your thoughts!

Dear Bud:
I am very sorry to hear about your problem.  However, there is no such thing as a breaking in period for dental work.  People do accommodate to work done, and have to get used to new devices, yet tissue does Not grow Up to meet a bridge.  If this is bothering you now, you Must address out with your dentist.  The bridge will have to be removed and shaped in a way that does not catch food underneath.  
The greater issue is why didn't you have an implant placed at the site?  A properly selected, placed, and restored implant avoids most problems that are associated with the bridge and does not involve the adjacent teeth.  Please talk to your dentist right away.  It has only been three weeks and most dentists stand by their work and will try to do what they can to please you.
Best of luck,

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.