Dentistry/Calcified tooth

Question
Part of my filling broke of the side of my molar..there was no pain I thought it needed refilled again but dentist said I had to have a root canal done because of the cavity...He tried for an hour to break through the canals and gave up as my roots were totaly calcified... He said I would be better of having it removed and having an implant done...Went to the surgeon he could not remove it because he could'nt get it numb enough because of the calcification..Now I have to return and be put out in order for my tooth to be removed..I am now feeling a throbbing in the tooth and wonder if  my tooth  should have been filled..The throbbing in my tooth is caused by all the trauma from the denists..Is it possible to leave the tooth as is  if the throbbing stops as I am so afraid to pulll it because the tooth is so difficult to come out and I will end up having nerve damage or worse problems. Also as I am missing my molars on the other side of my mouth and removing this tooth will cause me difficulty eating..and what causes calcification is it good or bad thing?I am 64 years old. Thank you .

Answer
Dear Elizabeth,
wish there was some advice that I could give you.
At a distance without seeing your tooth there is little i can suggest.
You seem to have most things figured out.
If the symptoms caused by the unsuccessful removal of the tooth disappear, and the molar tooth feels ok , there is no reason why you cannot keep it.
A good Endodontist , someone who specializes only in root canal treatment should be able to help you make that decision.  Because the filling and the molar tooth are broken, does not necessarily mean that there is infection and that what remains must be treated.
Without seeing your tooth, and visualizing with x-rays what the bone pattern is it is impossible for me to be of more help.
As to your question about calcification, it is neither good nor bad, it is what happens inside the tooth as you get older.  The pulp tissue tends to recede away from the mouth and as it does the pulp chambers fill in with mineral (calcification.)
Finally if you are in pain after a week, then most probably the tooth should be removed.
All the best
Dr. Moss

Dentistry

Stephen J. Moss