Dentistry/confuse about pedopartial

my son now 33 months lost one of his front incisor 3 months back, we went to a dentist for pedo parrtial only for aesthetic reason but coz both of  his molars were not there thus he suggested flipper and fixed it with his adjacent tooth by some superglue. he was asked not to eat hard food. The flipper came out in a month although all precaution regarding food was taken care of (i only remember him eating rusk biscuit on his own). Now his molars are there and i am keen on going for pedo partial for my baby because i dont want to see him like this for another 4 years. my only problem is does pedopartial also comes out on its own? what precaution regarding food is to be taken care of? does the process require anesthesia though my child is quite cooperative.

Once the primary first molars have emerged sufficiently it becomes possible to fabricate a pedipartial that can be cemented to the molars rather that one that is bonded to the other front teeth as was done previously.  The cemented appliance can be made for a compliant child without anesthesia.  It is also stronger than the bonded appliance although care in chewing and selecting foods is still necessary.

Dr. Randolph Myerson

Please limit your inquiry to questions about orthodontics (braces) and children's dentistry. I am both an Orthodontist and a Pediatric Dentist, having been trained in both of these dental specialty fields. Orthodontics is the dental specialty that treats problems of tooth, bite and jaw alignment using braces and removable appliances. Pediatric Dentistry is the dental specialty also known as dentistry for children, which deals specifically with the dental problems of this special age group from infants to adolescents. I am also experienced in Forensic Dentistry, the application of dentistry to law enforcement and identification using dental records.

I have been in the private practice of orthodontics and pediatric dentistry for over 20 years. Prior to that I served for three years on the Cleft Palate and Cranio-facial Reconstruction team at Children''s Hospital of Philadelphia and was an Assistant Professor of Dentistry at University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. I also served as a dentist in the U.S.Air Force, stationed at Andrews AFB in Washington, DC.

I am a Fellow in the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, and a member of the American Association of Orthodontics, as well as a member of the American Dental Association and the Dental Society of the State of New York.

I received my BA in Biology from Frankin & Marshall College in 1969, and my dental degree from University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine in 1973. In 1978 I received both my Certificate in Orthodontics from University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, and my Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry from Children''s Hospital of Philadelphia after completing a three year Teaching Fellowship in Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry in 1978.