Dentistry/crown

Question
Hello Dr. Teig, My question is I cracked a molar "last one on left side bottom" that has a filling. There is no pain. The dentist suggest a crown at $750.00. I don't have dental insurance and A lot of my other teeth will need work done soon and would rather spend the money on frontal teeth that need work rather than spend it on the last tooth on the bottom. Now since it doesn't really bother me can I just leave it without having a crown done? And just have it extracted when the time comes? Thank you.....Brian

Answer
Brian -  I would like to be able to advise you that you can just leave it until it is a problem, but not only can the tooth begin to have pain from the cracked tooth exposing the nerve, but that tooth can also become infected and then who knows what might happen.

I fully understand your financial predicament, but rather than leaving that tooth to eventually give you a problem, if you can't do any the dental treatment, have that tooth extracted now before it becomes a problem.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired