Hello Dr. Teig, My question is I cracked a molar "last one on left side bottom" that has a filling. There is no pain. The dentist suggest a crown at $750.00. I don't have dental insurance and A lot of my other teeth will need work done soon and would rather spend the money on frontal teeth that need work rather than spend it on the last tooth on the bottom. Now since it doesn't really bother me can I just leave it without having a crown done? And just have it extracted when the time comes? Thank you.....Brian

Brian -  I would like to be able to advise you that you can just leave it until it is a problem, but not only can the tooth begin to have pain from the cracked tooth exposing the nerve, but that tooth can also become infected and then who knows what might happen.

I fully understand your financial predicament, but rather than leaving that tooth to eventually give you a problem, if you can't do any the dental treatment, have that tooth extracted now before it becomes a problem.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude