Dentistry/mouth sore


QUESTION: I really don't know if this question is better asked of a dentist or another type of doctor, but I will start here. Around 8 weeks ago I developed a mouth ulcer/canker sore right on the inside of my bottom lip..and it is still there.

Sometimes it seems to swell and it hurts intermittently. At this point it looks like a hole in my mouth with a raised crater surrounding it (like a volcano) And sometimes the edge turns milky white.

It may be important to note that I have also had quite a few teeth problems in the past six months.....just breaking off in pieces while I eat. Also I have a severe vitamin D deficiency that I am now taking 50,000 units twice a week for. Obviously you can not diagnose me. I think I just need to know if this could possibly be anything BESIDES the C word.

Thank you

ANSWER: Rhonda - obviously without examining you I cannot be completely sure of what you are describing.  The fact that the area in on the inside of the lower lip and swells then looks like a crater, it sounds like you are suffering from a blockage of one of the minor salivary glands located in the lower lip.  There are hundreds of these small glands and minor irritations of the lip where the saliva exits the glands duct can produce a blockage of the duct and cause a back up of the saliva.  This backup will eventually breakdown and form an ulcer like area.  This situation occurs for many and the type of doctor who best treats this problem and who treats it frequently is an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  A  minor surgical procedure is usually all that is necessary to reverse the process.

If you wish, if you can tell me where in North Carolina you live, I can refer you to a number of different board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons.  So get back to me if you do not know of one and I will help you find one.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you so very much for sharing your knowledge and offering to help me find a specialist. I would very much be interested in your recommendation of
a surgeon. I live in Yadkinville. That is about 20 minutes the other side of Winston Salem,NC. Thank you again :-)

Rhonda - You are fortunate to be living in your area of North Carolina.  There are many highly skilled oral and maxillofacial surgeons within a few miles of where you live.  The following are surgeons who are board certified and highly skilled in pathological changes, such as you describe.

1) Dr. Paul Bailey - Winston-Salem - (336) 765-5374

2) Dr. A. Todd Smith -Winston Salem - (336)765-9550

3) Dr. David Kretzschmar - Winston Salem - (336) 716-2165

You can contact any of the above.  Make an appointment and have one of them evaluate your lip.  I wish you well and hope what you have can simply be corrected.  If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me again.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

Awards and Honors
National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude

©2017 All rights reserved.