Dentistry/Pain When Biting Down On New Filling - Dr. Says Not To Be So Sensitive

Question
Hi Dr. Peck,

Over a month and a half ago I had an upper left molar filled with a white filling - I'm not sure exactly what it is but it did have to be light cured. However when I ate on that side a day later, I suddenly got a sharp shooting pain, a pain I've never felt on my teeth before. Later that night, I found using floss between that molar and the one before it gave me a sharp shooting pain, like a nerve is getting pulled. I called the dentist and she replied that it could be due to the filling being too high, and to give it time to settle. I went on vacation for a month, and during that time I always felt a dull pain. After a week or so, using floss produced a sharp pain on both sides of the tooth. Eating hard objects would produce a pain too.

My sensitivity to hot and cold is fine, simply biting down or grinding does not produce pain, it's just chewing food at a particular point that produces pain and a dull pain even after the stimuli is removed. I am 20 with overall good oral hygiene. This is a tooth that was previously filled but after I moved the new dentist noticed a gap and said it had to be redone so I listened to her.

I thus switched to eating entirely on the other side, and as soon as I returned home I went to the dentist again. She took an x-ray and picture and said there was absolutely nothing wrong with the filling. Instead, she told me to be less sensitive. She gave me the attitude of someone who thought I was making a big deal out of nothing.

It's been almost 2 months and when I tried chewing on a soft orange the sharp pain still existed when I chewed on it, and leaving a dull pain after the food was removed.
I'm worried because I'm at school, and I won't be home for 3 months. Should I be worried something bad is happening? I'm petrified that I will need a root canal.

Thank you!
Avery

Answer
Hi Avery and thanks for your question.

Firstly, let me express my dismay with your current dilemma. Oral pain is a very real symptom and should always be investigated fully by every clinician. The fact that the type of pain you are having now is new, tells me that the origin might well as a result of the recent dental treatment - although I cannot give a definitive diagnosis without examining you personally or viewing the X-rays.

I have also experienced this problem clinically before with some patients and the cause is greatly unknown. Sometimes, it could be as result of a fracture in the composite material, leakage between the filling and tooth interface which allows moisture to enter and cause pressure fluctuations under function, a fracture in the floor of the cavity where the filling was placed, loss of proper contact between the filling and the adjacent teeth which allows for food impaction or accumulation between which aggravates the gum between the teeth, or a high filling which affects your bite during function and places an abnormally high pressure on the filling and/or the normal tooth. Those are the most common causes, but I cannot narrow it down any further - with regret.

What I would suggest, is that either get a second opinion on the matter and get all the teeth in that fully evaluated because there is of course, a chance that these symptoms could be purely co-incidental and involve another tooth near by, or could even be as a result of another undiagnosed pathology. It might be a good idea, to have the filling removed completely and replaced with a temporary filling which has a softer consistency and tolerates your bite better, for a period of 2-4 weeks during which time you should evaluate the changes in the pain and discomfort. Should your symptoms improve during this time, then your dentist could discuss what options are available to you, or if not, then possibly refer you to an endodontist for further examination and diagnosis of the problem. Most clinicians have a guarantee period for their work, so if the filling needs to be replaced, it might be covered under the principle of a redo procedure, but discuss the costs involved fully.

I hope this helps and wish you all the very best in resolving this issue speedily, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)