Dentistry/pain after root canal in existing crown

I had a crown for 3 yrs, all fine.  6o ago pain started in that tooth.  I received a root canal, surgeon did see abnormalities in that tooth while doing that.  The pain stayed , both dentist and surgeon see nothing on xray to question my pain, it looks textbook great.  I have been on antibiotics twice for infection (xrays show nothing at this time either)  I also experience ear pain that is strong and comes and goes.  I do have neck and shoulder pain as well, but not sure if that is related?  It feels like tense muscles... so unsure, but all on the same side.  Thanks for any guidance you can offer me.

Lynnette - It is a little difficult for me to come up with a diagnosis of the cause for the pain you are enduring.  You did not say which tooth was worked on.  From your symptoms of ear pain along with neck and shoulder pain as well, it does not seem that the pain is directly caused by the tooth.  The tooth pain sort of indicates that there may be a problem with that tooth, but the other symptoms of ear, shoulder and neck pain sort of indicates that the jaw muscles are in spasm.  That spasming could provide trauma to the tooth that is in pain.  So it is a little difficult for me to arrive at a cause, but you doctors need to fully check out much more than just the tooth alone.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude