Dentistry/Pain after root canal, no relief after shaving or aspirin

Greetings Doctor, I had a root canal on my very back tooth before the wisdom tooth on the upper palate. Its now been 4 days since the root canal and I cannot sleep, even when I take 1000 mg of acetaminophen. The doctor guesses that perhaps the tooth needed to be ground down a bit more, so today he ground the tooth down and the pain is just as bad as ever.  Its not nerve pain in the sense that it doesn't respond to hot and cold, it just aches really badly. Is there anything my dentist can do to help? What should I do first thing tommorow?

I cannot take Ibuprofen or Naproxen so I am stuck with Aspirin.

Thank you, Oleg

Dear Oleg,
really wish I had a way to help you but I don't.
The root canal was done on a tooth with three roots.
Beneath one or more of the roots is some irritation that is causing you great discomfort.
Generally that irritation goes away in a few days and analgesics such as aspirin help.
Sometimes there is infection , below the roots in the bone.
That too can cause pain, however that discomfort is generally associated with fever and sometimes swelling. When that happens antibiotics can be of help.
Perhaps you can find someone to get you a pain killer that you are not allergic to.
Certainly call your dentist on Monday morning.
All the best,
Dr. Moss

Stephen J. Moss

I am a professor emeritus at New York University, with a background that includes extensive research, scientific writing and biology. I also am an international consultant in health education, particularly in developing education on new science for health professionals and consumers. I am a past president of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, former head of the NYU Division of Oral Biology and I represent the World Dental Federation at the United Nations. I travel around the world to provide health education to professionals and consumers.

Having retired from New York Universit, where I directed the pediatric dentistry training program, a walk-in dental clinic and research on oral biology, I formalized my professional and consumer health education initiative in the form of Health Education Enterprises. This entity consults and provides information on new science pertaining to oral and general health, particularly leading edge concepts that can be employed in the health professions to improve the public's health. As such, I am an expert in communicating new science and its usefulness to professional and lay audiences alike. I also had a pediatric dentistry practice in New York City for nearly 30 years.

I am affiliated with the American Dental Association, the World Dental Federation, the International Association of Pediatric Dentistry and the American Association of Pediatric Dentistry among other formal organizations. My experience has included a research fellowship at the National Institutes of Health and work at the Forsythe Dental Research Center

lpha Omegan USA, Nowa Stomatologia Poland, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, The Journal of the Southeastern Society of Pediatric Dentistry USA, News Bulletin Japan, Journal of Marmara University Dental Faculty Turkey, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry Italy, Asian Dentist Singapore, The Journal of the Israel Dental Association Israel, ROBRAC Brazil, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry
Italy, FDI World, STOMA Portugal, Pediatric Dentistry The Philippines, Modern Stomatology Bulgaria, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry India

I obtained a doctor of dental science (DDS) degree, a master of science degree and am a board certified pediatric dentist.