Dentistry/Repeat Bondings

Dear Dr. Schwartz, I'll be as brief as I can. Can laser technology lighten bonding color/shading? My current prosthodontist made 5 bondings the same shade and 4 others darker. I made the error of not getting my teeth bleached before he began work. Therefore, I asked him to make all bonding lighter than the natural tooth color, planning to then whiten up the natural teeth afterwards so they would match the lighter bonding. In other words, compensating for my own error. Well, he screwed that up. If I whiten now, I have white teeth and dark bonding. If I have then redone, I absolutely do not want to lose any more natural tooth material. And, I'll have to take money away from earmarked funds for implants, to now spend on repeat work. Which means I'll forever an empty space in my mouth because money which should have gone for that implant went to repeated work. See? Can you offer any suggestions? Thanks so much.   Mark

Hi Mark,

I would recommend to try over the counter whitenings first like Crest Whitestrips. While bondings do not whiten, they sometimes lighten in color. In addition, if the bondings are very  thin, then if the tooth structure whitens, it may shine through the bonding and give the appearance that the bonding has whitened as well.

I am not saying this will definitively work, but that's why I recommend to try a cheaper OTC product first. If you see that you are getting decent results, then you can try an in-office whitening procedure and not have to replace the bondings.

Good luck!

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR