Dentistry/Replacing Bondings

Dear Dr. Peck, My question concerns my most recent bondings. I'm in the process of having my teeth restored, all of which was due to my own neglect; depression. Anyway, this prosthodontist did not listen to me when I asked him to make the bondings lighter than the current natural teeth. Why, because I had forgotten to bleach them before my next scheduled appointment with him. To have waited for rescheduling would have taken way too long. Well, he bonded 9 teeth at the gum line, making 5 the exact color and 4 even darker. I am not pleased at all. He now loses out on $33,000 of future work. My question is, will laser bleaching lighten these bondings or do I have to spend extra money to have them all made over? My second question is just important. If the bondings have to be done over, I DO NOT WANT ANY MORE NATURAL TOOTH LOST, PERIOD! Could you please advise me on this situation. His assistant did a good job on scaling my teeth, but I don't like "his" work at all. That was $3,000 wasted as far as I am concerned. I might not be able to get all the implants I need now, because I might have to use some of that money to respend on new bondings. Can you offer any options or suggestions? Thank you very much.  Mark

Hi Mark and thanks for your question.

Firstly, let me express my sadness with your current dilemma and for the fact that you are not satisfied with your current treatment.  Just to get better clarity on your issue, for me the term "bondings" is very broad, because this could imply laboratory manufactured prosthesis such as porcelain crowns or veneers, or directly bonded composite resins to the teeth which are placed by the clinician without the use of a laboratory.

In any event, the answer to this is quite straight forward...due to the difference in porosity between tooth enamel and porcelain/composite resins materials, whitening is less effective than it is on the natural tooth, which is more porous and susceptible to whitening procedures. Depending on the precise nature of the treatment done, it might be possible to remove what has been done with minimal effect to the underlying tooth structure, but I cannot give you a definitive answer to this without examining the work done first.

My advice would be to discuss your problem with your prosthodontist in an honest, open and polite manner and emphasize your dissatisfaction with the treatment.  No clinician wants to loose a patient or get a bad reputation, especially as more work is still pending.  You are also free to get a second opinion on the matter and discuss the results with your prosthodontist, but if you are not happy with him/her in general, it might be better if you go elsewhere for your further treatment - after this issue has been resolved.  It remains your body and you must be satisfied with everything that happens to it at all times - that is your full right - so do what is right for you.

I hope this helps and wish you all the very best in resolving this issue soon, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)

I am a General Dental Practitioner, with special interests in Cosmetic Dentistry & facial aesthetics and Periodontology, placing a strong emphasis on the establishment and maintenance of a healthy periodontium (the support structure of the tooth) before cosmetic options are considered. I uphold all principles of prevention above interventional treatment and try as far as possible, to remain conservative in my approach. I believe in detailed, open and honest patient discussion, establishing what the patients expectations are and what the reality is of achieving this and involving the patient at every level of the treatment. I have strong principles on ethical treatment and appropriate patient management. I have chosen to treat and rehabilitate many nervous and phobic patients, who, for whatever reason, find it impossible to take part in the very important task of even a routine check-up. I will accept questions relating to general and cosmetic dentistry (in conjunction with the use of facial cosmetic procedures) and dental fears/phobias. I will be more than willing to answer any academic questions in dentistry, biology, physiology, psychology and health sciences in general. As most dentists will tell you, there is often not only one way of dealing with a dental issue - so very often, there is no precise right and wrong way of approaching the problem. All clinicians vary when it comes to treatments and what works best in their hands is often the treatment that is advised. Be understanding of this and bear in mind that nothing lasts forever! Patients are happy to accept only a one-years warrantee when buying a new car, but seem to expect that dental work is going to last them their lifetime.

I have worked for many years in the UK and RSA as a general dental practitioner - within the NHS, private practice and the government dental health services. I am certificated for the administration of Botox and Dermal Fillers for facial lines and wrinkles as I have attended further courses in minimally invasive facial cosmetic procedures. I started seeing an increasing number of patients who presented with severe to moderate dental fears, even with full-blown phobias, so I started with the slow and patient task of tackling this problem and have successfully rehabilitated many patients. The key is good, effective, concise and understandable communication, shifting control from the dentist to the patient in order to slowly, but confidently, regain their trust back in dentistry, thereby giving them the feeling of achievement and this self-empowerment which drives them to the next level of treatment.

Academy of General Dentistry. American Dental Education Association. IAPAM (International Association for Physicians in Aesthetic Medicine). Professional Speakers, Writers and Managements Consultants in Dentistry. The British Dental Association. UK Aesthetics Group. ARC - Aesthetic Professionals. Botox. Aesthetics & Beauty. American Association for Dental Research. FDI - World Dental Federation. SOURCE1uk. World Dental Hygiene Forum. ProDentalCPD. Public Health Dentistry. Dentist Network. LinkedIn. Who's Who of South Africa.

B.Med.Sc. Degree (Medical Physiology and Medical Virology; Physiology Cum Laude; Stell 1994). B.Ch.D. Degree (Bachelor of Dental Surgery; Clinical Dentistry Cum Laude; Stell 1997). CPR and CPR-Advanced Courses (2000/2001; UK). Clinical Botox (UK, 2001). Cosmetic Dermatology (Botox and Dermal Fillers; RSA 2011).

Placed on the Dean's List at University for academic achievement (1994). Highest achievement in the subject Dental Materials. Medal from 3M and the Radiology Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Dental Radiology and Imaging. Medal from The Periodontal Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Periodontology. Highest achievement for Oral Medicine. Highest achievement in Oral Pathology. Received the DASA (Dental Ass. of South Africa) Gold Medal for highest achieving dental student across the 5 1/2 years of the Degree. Passed the subject, Clinical Dentistry with distinction in final year.