Dentistry/Root canal failed?

Question
Hello,  I am desperate for some advice.  In July I started having horrible pain in my cheek bone and thought I had a sinus infection.  It turned out to be an abscessed -tooth#14.  I had a root canal in mid July.  In mid august I started having joint pain in my little fingers.  The pain then spread to my shoulders.  It is now 6 weeks later and most of my joints have some degree of pain.  My little fingers are extremely sore.  Doing  repeated searches, my joint symptoms sound exactly like rheumatoid arthritis.  There is a lot of information online about failed root canals causing health problems.  I want to get my tooth pulled to see if my joint problems resolve, but my dentist doesn't want to pull it.  I tried scheduling at an endodontist, but they require a referral from my dentist. I have an appt with my physician to get the joint pain checked out later today.  Also, I don't know if it's related, but I also had strep throat at the end of August.  What do you think about the root canal/joint pain correlation?  Thank you!!

Answer
I think that you should consult with a neurologist. If you have a pinched nerve in your neck or shoulder, it could also cause some of your symptoms. It is unlikely that tooth #14 is responsible (Although you may find information on the Internet that implies otherwise). Not everything that you read on the internet should be believed.

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com