Dentistry/2 1/2 yr old daughter

advice.  my daughter has a tooth that did not develop. one of the top 4 middle teeth.  we took her to the dentist.  they said that it did not develop.  It was a bit jagged and shorter than the rest.  The problem is that I had a reaction under anesthetic.  Malignant hyperthermia.  The Dr did not want anything to do with working on her after I told him, which I understand.  He referred us to a hospital with an oral surgeon.  I flat out asked “ if we leave the tooth in, would that be a problem”.  He wouldn’t answer the question, instead talking about having some parents wanting bad teeth pulled and others wanting to do everything they could to save it.  I asked what he would do and again no straight answer. they did check the tooth and it didn't appear that she was experiencing discomfort
That was almost a year ago.  She is not in pain as she eats popsicles and never cries out when she is eating. She has never said her teeth hurt. my wife thinks the tooth is chipping away slowly
She has developed a cavity in between her bottom middle 4 teeth.  I am trying to figure out if now would be a good time to have the tooth repaired or taken out.  I looked at it today.  Looking underneath it looks like there is white on the outside and a light pinkish color on the bottom.
We live in a small town.  There is one more children's dentist we could try but had some issues with them with one of our other children.   We are in mid-Michigan.  I don’t care if I have to travel a bit to get to a good dentist but I am at a loss because what if we travel and get the same service?  Can I leave the tooth in till it falls out? Will it cause her long term problems?
what is the difference between a dentist and having an oral surgeon work on her?
we have insurance so the money is not a driving factor.

You've asked the most important and relevant questions and you deserve the best answers.  Unfortunately, I can't provide you with those answers without completing a proper examination including x-rays. Anything else would be complete conjecture on my part.  You may decide that seeing the other nearby children's dentist may be your best option. You might also consider an examination at the dental school in Ann Arbor at the University.

Dr. Randolph Myerson

Please limit your inquiry to questions about orthodontics (braces) and children's dentistry. I am both an Orthodontist and a Pediatric Dentist, having been trained in both of these dental specialty fields. Orthodontics is the dental specialty that treats problems of tooth, bite and jaw alignment using braces and removable appliances. Pediatric Dentistry is the dental specialty also known as dentistry for children, which deals specifically with the dental problems of this special age group from infants to adolescents. I am also experienced in Forensic Dentistry, the application of dentistry to law enforcement and identification using dental records.

I have been in the private practice of orthodontics and pediatric dentistry for over 20 years. Prior to that I served for three years on the Cleft Palate and Cranio-facial Reconstruction team at Children''s Hospital of Philadelphia and was an Assistant Professor of Dentistry at University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. I also served as a dentist in the U.S.Air Force, stationed at Andrews AFB in Washington, DC.

I am a Fellow in the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, and a member of the American Association of Orthodontics, as well as a member of the American Dental Association and the Dental Society of the State of New York.

I received my BA in Biology from Frankin & Marshall College in 1969, and my dental degree from University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine in 1973. In 1978 I received both my Certificate in Orthodontics from University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, and my Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry from Children''s Hospital of Philadelphia after completing a three year Teaching Fellowship in Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry in 1978.