Dentistry/bleeding when I floss around crown

Hello Mr. Finnk

I had a root canal a few years ago, and in the past several months I have noticed that the gum/tooth that has the crown on it bleeds when I floss-both sides of the tooth bleed. If I floss everyday then it does not but if I go a couple days without flossing then I know it will bleed, and it does bleed quite a lot.  My other teeth do not bleed.  

I had gone to a dentist prior to me noticing the bleeding and for a different reason, and after performing a check up and xray she told me that underneath the crown I have some sort of infection and the crown will have to be removed and replaced after cleaning the area.  I did not have the cleaning done at that time.

I wanted to ask if 1) does a possible infection cause the bleeding? 2)Should I continue to floss around that tooth? 3) I am a smoker (cigarettes) could that have anything to do with the bleeding? and 4) irrelevant question, but, is there a way to naturally remove tobacco stains/brown stains from between my two front teeth or is this something that can only be done with a cleaning at a dentist.

I will appreciate your help, thank you.

Dear Nash,

Yes, infection in and under the gums often cause them to bleed. This is one of the signs of gum disease,  which is infection under the gums.

No, do not continue to floss around that tooth. See your dentist,  get the cleaning, and get the crown replaced.

Smoking increases your chance of getting gum disease and gums bleeding and oral cancer.

First step in removing smoking stain is a professional tooth cleaning.  Next is stop smoking.  Next is get a professional tooth cleaning at least every 6 months.  

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.