Dentistry/Gum and Bone Loss

Dr. Teig, I have a lower cast metal partial that has a resting clasp on the right molar, and when I chew food, because I have a very sunken area where the premolar used to be, the pressure in bearing down pushing my gum tissue, and (maybe bone) so that my bite is not as good anymore. Can a denture or partial that is causing that much presure be able to cause fast bone loss, or would it take years? Thanks A lot!!

Marie - It all depends on the amount of pressure.  Excess pressure can definitely cause the bone to breakdown and begin to pull away from the irritation pressure.  It could take some time, like 6 months to 18 months but it will start to have a degeneration of the bone.  Have the appliance adjusted so no pressure exists.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude