Dentistry/Gum and Bone Loss

Question
Dr. Teig, I have a lower cast metal partial that has a resting clasp on the right molar, and when I chew food, because I have a very sunken area where the premolar used to be, the pressure in bearing down pushing my gum tissue, and (maybe bone) so that my bite is not as good anymore. Can a denture or partial that is causing that much presure be able to cause fast bone loss, or would it take years? Thanks A lot!!

Answer
Marie - It all depends on the amount of pressure.  Excess pressure can definitely cause the bone to breakdown and begin to pull away from the irritation pressure.  It could take some time, like 6 months to 18 months but it will start to have a degeneration of the bone.  Have the appliance adjusted so no pressure exists.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired