Dentistry/implant

Question
Hello, I am in a conundrum. I had my second implant done on an upper molar. Within 3 weeks, the crown fell off. The crown was ill fitting, in that it collected huge chunks of food. I could dig out another full course meal from under the tooth at any given time. The gum under the crown was infected. The dentist said the peg was stripped. He will have to do it all over again! My first implant is 20 years old and I never had a problem with it. Different dentist who is retired. I feel this new dentist is incompetent and possibly even starting to get dementia! He forgets recent events. He drops sharp tools in my mouth and hums the same 2 notes over and over again. At one point he dropped some round thing in my mouth and it pert near went right down my throat! I am afraid to let him near me but I am out a lot of money. What would you do? Thanks so much. I sure do appreciate any help you can give me. Do I need a lawyer? I know he has the right to make me whole but good grief.

Answer
Sharon -  First of all, did the dentist place a crown over the implant immediately or shortly after placing it.  If so, it is all wrong and against all principles of healing.  If the crown collects food, it means the dentist did not have a crown made the was an exact fit.  

My suggestion, if you cannot have an evaluation by a different dentist of oral and maxillofacial surgeon, make an attempt to have yourself evaluated at a dental school in northern New Jersey, New York or Pennsylvania.  I am so sorry to hear about what your are experiencing.  It does sound like the dentist is not the best.  

If necessary, you can have a lawyer help you or you can contact the New Jersey Dental Association and see if they can have you properly evaluated.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired