Dentistry/Nasopalatine nerve problems

10 years ago I had an elbow above the mouth and near the nose during sport. It seemed to have damaged the Nasopalatine nerve and although it is normal most part of the year, I do have the problem of it swelling when I go skiing to a cold climate, normally near the end of my holiday. The nerve seems to be affected between the mouth and nose on the right it goes sore and numb. Is there anything I can take to prevent this happening or when it occurs is there something to help it go back to normal quickly. My dentist just told me he could shut the nerve down but I would not like to loose the tooth its connected too.

Paul -  the nasopalatine nerve is not attached to any teeth.  A proper removal of the nerve will not cause any injury to the teeth in the area.  The surgery is confined to a small incision with limited trauma to area around it.  A good and simple way to reduce the inflammation before and while you are in a cold environment. Simply - Do warm salt water rinses in the area of the nerve for about 3-4 minutes before going out in cold and occasionally more when you start to feel symptoms.

I hope this helps, but if the surgery is done by an oral surgeon and not a dentist, it should all go well.  

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude