Dentistry/Peripheral neuropothy

About 3 years ago I had an impacted wisdom tooth pulled. It was located in the lower left portion of my mouth. I was 56 at the time. Because the nerve endings were deeply rooted, the extraction damaged some nerves in that portion of my mouth. I never regain full feelings in the area. About 3-4 months afterwards I started developing numbness in my right foot. It then spread to my left foot and now is now in my fingertips. I do not have diabetes and all blood tests are normal. I am otherwise healthy and exercise 5 days a week. Is there any possibility that the problem in my mouth could be creating this neuropothy?  I am desperately trying to figure out what is happening to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Philip - There is no direct relationship or connection between the nerves of the mouth and those of the fingers or feet.  I don't think there is a relationship between the different areas.  For that reason, it would probably be best to have a neurologist evaluate you to arrive at a diagnosis and treatment.

I wish you well and hope you feel better soon.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude