Dentistry/Problem with new filling

Question
Hi Dr Zelig, on Christmas eve I had a filling done on my 2nd molar.  This was done 7 weeks after having the wisdom tooth that was impacting upon it removed.  I now have hot and cold sensitivity in this tooth (but not sensitive to pressure) the bite was originally a little high but that was ground down about 5 days ago.  I had no pain in this tooth prior to the filling. This evening while eating something hot I had excruciating pain shoot through under my jaw to the soft area under my chin - it lasted a few minutes.  I also feel as though my throat is a bit tight but this may be due to anxiety and I also have a head cold/sore throat.  What could be causing this reaction to heat?  There seems to be no evidence of inflammation in my mouth that I can see.  

Thanks for you time,
Sandra

Answer
Hi Sandra,
Thank you for contacting me with your question. It is not uncommon to feel some slight discomfort for a few days after receiving a dental filling. However, the type of pain and sensitivity that you are describing is not a usual post-operative result. In my opinion, there are a couple of possible explanations. First, the "bite" might need further adjustment. The mouth and jaw are very sensitive to even the smallest amount of imbalance. You mentioned that the bite was already adjusted, but perhaps it needs more. Another possible scenario is that the filling is quite deep and is in close proximity to the nerve of the tooth. In this case the nerve within the tooth roots are inflamed and are now causing pain. This might be self-limiting and will go away with time. Or, you might need to have a root canal. My advice would be for you to see an Endodontist (a root canal specialist) who can test the tooth using various non-invasive tests and will determine the "root" of the problem.
Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.
Joseph Zelig  

Dentistry

Joseph Zelig, DDS