Dentistry/removal of mdi by peridontist

Question
I have an Mini Dental Implant in middle of front lower gum area, placed right after all of my teeth were removed. It is just barely into the bone. The Dentist that placed it cannot remove it, he states it will do more damage to my excellent bone structure than leaving it there. I have an appointment with a Periodontist 2 weeks from now.  I can't find any good info on him, only 2 bad reviews.  He will be surgically removing implant, doing bone grafting under IV sedation. The first dentist agrees I should now have it removed but suggests an oral maxillofacial dentist (that he knows?)to remove, not a periodontist. What is your opinion?  I have been through so much and have 2 very well placed full dental implants once the 1st dentist removed MDI's and placed in proper area. He will not touch my mouth again for when I left that day I didn't know the one MDI he left in my mouth had a 1/2 to 3/4 inch screw sticking up in my mouth. When I took lower denture out of mouth it hurt and when I put them back in it pinched my gums again. The new dentist removed that a week ago and I now have a sharp edged metal sticking up inside my mouth.  Should I stay with this dentist or go to maxillofacial dentist to complete this process.  What is your opinion?

Answer
Marlena - the first dentist is correct.  An oral and maxillofacial surgeon is a doctor who is more completely trained in the anatomy and the surgical correction of an error created by a different dentist.  A surgeon has extensive knowledge and training in dental implants.  I wish you well and I want to make sure that the surgeon you use is a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired