Dentistry/root filling

Question
I am in pain. I had a root filling 9 months ago. The dentist made an error and drilled too far through my tooth. I had a crown fixed to the tooth. A short time after I started to have a weird pain which radiated from my lip up the side of my nose. Made worse on cleaning my teeth or catching my lip. Went back to the dentist, she said everything looked fine and these things have a habit of settling down. The pain did go away eventually but came back a few months later.it was awfull. Returned to the dentist had x Ray on root filled tooth. Dark shadow around root. I was given amoxil the pain subside but didn't completely go. Had metronizadole and pain completely went. Then had the tooth out. Afterwards the socket refused to heal so had it flushed out and packed along with more amoxil.  The pain returned in my face so was told to take more metronidazole as well. The pain is not responding to this and the socket is not completely healed , it's nearly 3weeks now. The pain is up the side of my nose on the sake side where tooth removed ,top tooth , 4th from front right side. The pain is triggered to a what I can only explain as a spasm "very painful". The triggers are chewing or catching my upper lip on same side. Please please can you advise. Thank you. Julia

Answer
Hi Julia,

Sorry for my late response!

It sounds like you have a dry socket. This is a painful reaction in which the extraction socket does not heal properly and is very painful. Often times, it takes multiple visits with special medicines to help the socket heal. I would recommend that if you're still in pain to see an oral surgeon so that they can properly debride the area and apply the medicine.

All the best!

Dentistry

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD