Dentistry/Spasms and Facial Pain

Question
QUESTION: WHEN I SLIDE MY JAW FROM SIDE TO SIDE IT SHAKES ON LEFT SIDE.ALSO WHEN I SLIDE MY TEETH SIDE TO SIDE I HAVE A HARD TIME DOING IT, MY JAW SHAKE WHEN I HAVE MY BITE CHECKED.

WHAT CAN THE CAUSE BE I ALSO HAVE PAIN IN BACK OF NECK ON RIGHT SIDE.

DO YOU HAVE ANY ANSWERS .THANK YOU ANNA

ANSWER: Hi Anna,

Thank you for your question.  I love questions like these, because I have actually gone through the same thing.

Now, you know you are going to eventually end up in a dentists office, right?  What I would like for you to do is look for a board certified dentist that specializes in TMJ treatment.  But be careful....most dentists will say they treat TMJ, but I would like for you to find one that treats TMJ almost every day they are at the office.  Talk to your family and friends, research on the internet, make some phone calls in finding the right dentist.

Why is it so important to find a dentist who specializes in TMJ?  Because it really takes a lot of practice, lots of cases and experience to be really good at providing TMJ treatment.  One of the things that a TMJ Specialist will probably do is make you an night guard appliance for you to wear at night.  Any dentist can take an impression of your teeth, and send those impressions off to a lab that can make you a night guard....but that's not the hard part.  What is important is the follow-up visits to balance and adjust your night guard so that it fits just right. It is a difficult task, even for the best dentists.  From my experience it took at least 3 or 4 visits to the dentist to get my night guard the way I like it.

In the meantime, and until you get to the right person to treat you, I can make a few suggestions.

First, you want to relax your body and facial muscles as much as possible.  Think about what stresses you and avoid these stresses if you can.  Maintain good body posture.  Sit up straight in your chair, stand up straight, sleep on your back.  I don't know your particular case, but if it were me, I would try and talk less.  Excessive talking can stress your facial muscles and complicate your bite even more.

Second, make it a habit to keep your "teeth apart, lips together."  This is really hard, because it takes a lot of focus to remember to do this.  Keep saying to yourself....."teeth apart, lips together.....teeth apart, lips together."   Your upper and lower teeth should never touch, except when swallowing....and only then, they should touch only barely.

Third, I found an amazing book about TMJ treatment that provides helpful instruction in an easy to understand way.  There are suggestions about what you can do at home.  "The TMJ Healing Plan: Ten Steps to Relieving Headaches, Neck Pain and Jaw Pain" by Cynthia Peterson.   I recommend the E-Book version you can get on Amazon.

By the way.....there is a good chance your neck pain is related to the problems you are having with your bite.  There are some good tips in the book regarding how to deal with neck pain.

Good luck and please let me know your progress!

Best regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

QUESTION: Hi Jonathan. I was reading one of the questions about Peripheral Neuropothy  I to have a numbing in my right foot and toes and think its due to my spasams in my face .

well any way your so kind to answer my question .I went to a Neuroligist yesterday and he does not think its TMJ but I do. He gave me a script for Baclofin and I took one the first night and yesterday I took 2 .Icould not sleep all night feel like I have flu and my teeth and body are quivering, feel like throwing up and still have numbness in feet also have spasams in face with bad headaches. I'm getting off the meds can't
take the side affects and going to take your advice.If you know any TMJ
SPECIALIST IN THE Largo Fl area or Tampa Fl area please let me know.
Thanks again for your time and advice. Anna

ANSWER: Hello Anna,

I did not know what the drug "Baclofen" was so I Googled it.  At Drugs.com Baclofen is described as a muscle relaxer.  Under a doctors care, and the prescribing of that drug, I think your Neurologist is thinking the right way.  Relaxing your muscles, especially those muscles in your face, could only help.

As far as your doctor thinking it is not TMJ, I don't want to contradict him since he is a trained Medical Health Professional.  But I will say that TMJ is one of the most misdiagnosed physical ailments.  This does not mean that doctors who can't identify "TMJ" are bad.  What it means is that TMJ diagnoses is very quirky.  TMJ Dysfunction is sort of like a basket term for all sorts of complications that effect that area of the body.  I have listened to many, many people describe their TMJ issue to me, and crazy as it seems, no two are the same.  From my experience, and I have seen and spoken to many doctors and dentists about my own TMJ, that the majority of them go by the simple generic definition they learned in medical school, from a colleague, or at a medical conference.  There are so many different patient complaints about TMJ that almost none of them play out in a textbook, like they do in real life.  That is why it is so IMPORTANT, that you find a dentist who has had a large number of TMJ inflicted people come through his office.

But I am glad that your Neurologist prescribed Baclofen.  In my opinion, he did the most of what he was able to do from his perspective and in his specialty. A muscle relaxer seems like a logical conservative first step. Relaxing your facial muscles could possibly help you.

I would also like you to see a board certified dentist who has had many TMJ patients.  I did some internet research in your Tampa area and found Dr. Barry C. Levine.  http://www.drbarryclevine.com/meet-us/dr-barry-levine.html .  I have never met or talked to this dentist, but I really liked his profile.  And as an added bonus, there is also a member on his staff who can help you deal with insurance and financing issues.

My "patient point of view" advice would be to proceed carefully and slowly.  If you end up liking this dentist, then continue.  If your gut, tells you to find another, than do that.  I am hoping that "splint therapy" or the wearing of a night guard will be the path you're taken.  It would be a red flag if I heard the word "surgery" early on.  Conservative, non invasive treatment is the way to go.  There is a delicate balance of your jaw and facial muscles.  So the less tinkering you do on the way to recovery, the better.

As far as your, right foot....you got me there.  You can mention it to your dentist, but you may end up having to discuss further with your neurologist or orthopedist.  It is amazing how some parts of the body, can effect other seemingly unrelated parts.

Anna, good luck and give me a progress report!!

Best regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

QUESTION: Hi Jonathan, Thank you again.

Forgot to ask you if you ever heard of the Next Generation TMJD. It's a
mold they make for your ears instead of a bite splint. Thanks Ann

Answer
Hi Ann,

Years ago I visited a TMJ Dentist in Manhattan who was tops in the field of TMJ treatment.  The very first thing he did was take his pointer fingers and put one in my left ear, and the other in my right ear.  He said "open, close, open, close."  It was a quick way for him to check how my Temporal Mandibular Joints were behaving.

Yes, I have heard of the Next Generation TMJ Device.  I have not used it or know anyone who has.  But I am interested in exploring the possibility of trying it myself.  Maybe I'll wear a nightguard during sleeping hours, and wear the Next Generation device during the day.  I'm going to need time to evaluate the product.

I would still like for you to follow through on some of my other suggestions.  Go see a dentist to evaluate you. If you do decide to order the Next Generation device, then I would advise you bring it with you on your first visit.  Let the dentist look at it.  It would be interesting to see what he or she thinks.

Please keep me posted!

Best regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point ov View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble