Dentistry/Tonsillitis related to tooth sensitivity?

Hi Dr Fink.  I had a filling on Christmas eve next to where I had an impacted wisdom tooth removed about a year ago.  The tooth with the filling is very sensitive to cold and heat. - this evening heat on the tooth sent excruciating ain through my submandibular and sub mental area on the same (left) side as the tooth.  I also have a sore throat.

This evening I saw an after hours doctor who tells me I have severe tonsillitis especially on the left side and this could be causing the tooth sensitivity. - does this sound right? Would it be just as likely for a tooth infection to cause the tonsillitis?  She also changed over my antibiotics of Amoxicillin to phenoxymethylpenicllin (cilicaine VK) - do you agree that this is a better option for a tooth infection - if one indeed exists as she said the filling looks ok?  But my jaw  and under it is in so much pain!  By the way, the tooth is not sensitive to pressure.

Thank you so much for your time and any insights as to what may be going on.

Dear Sandra,

Tonsilitis can cause teeth to be more sensitive.  While anything is possible, I have not heard of a tooth infection causing tonsilitis.

I cannot tell you if you are taking the right antibiotic for you.  I can tell you that, while it is not uncommon for a tooth to be sensitive for several days or weeks after being filled, the kind of sensitivity you describe sounds like the nerve inside the tooth is severely inflamed.  This tooth may need a root canal to stop the pain.  It has already been a week since the filling was done.  If the pain is not getting better, call your dentist.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.