Dentistry/Impressions

Question
Dr. Kaufman, I had a lot of bone put in my maxillary, because of no bone. It has been six weeks now, and I am still a little swollen on my left gum area. How soon do you think I can have a reline on my denture with a soft reline? Thanks

Answer
Dear Brenda:
If  you are wearing a denture, and you required extensive bone grafting in the upper jaw, most dentists will ask you to keep the denture out for a couple of weeks at least. The longer you keep it out the better the chances that the graft takes.
There are  no clear-cut rules as to when to reline the denture since each patient is individual and each denture is individual.
Unfortunately I do not know how your denture was made, how much space there is between that and the graft, and what type of graft procedure was done.
The  best advice I can give you is to call your dentist and pose the question to him or her.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery,

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.