Dentistry/Receding Gums

So, my question is about the level of concern I should have about my receding gumline. I am only 25, and I am incredibly worried they are far more receeded than they should be. I do believe I have genetically "bad" teeth after seeing my parent's experiences with their teeth. I have many fillings, and I have been told I have a bit of enamel loss. I am currently using a prescription fluoride along with toothpaste for sensitive teeth. I brush twice a day. I also use a spin brush, and, after doing some reading, it has occured to me that I may be brushing too hard. I also diligently floss, but I did spend a long time not being consistent with that (prior to a few years ago). The last time I was at a dentist (maybe 7 or 8 months ago, which I know is likely longer than recommended between visits), I didn't have any new cavities. I know that in my picture my teeth don't look fantastic.

I would greatly appreciate getting your professional opinion on the severity of my issue. I have a dental appointment scheduled for a couple weeks from now. Since I noticed this today, though, I am a bit anxious. Do I need to go to the dentist sooner? Will I require surgery to fix this issue before I lose all my teeth before I'm 30? I apologize if I sound over dramatic. I am just very unhinged by having seen this today.

Hi Nicole and thanks for your question.

After looking at your pic let me re-assure you that you have no immediate need to stress out or get unhinged. Your gums looks really healthy and pink with no signs of swelling, inflammation or gingivitis. There is slight recession especially in the lower jaw but I would guess this has more to do with your aggressive brushing technique rather than a pathological cause, such a periodontitis. There is evidence of staining between the teeth, which I would advise you to see a hygienist at least twice a year - not only to maintain your oral health but also to modify your brushing technique and evaluate the degree of recession over time in order to monitor the improvement or worsening of your condition. Your dentist can most definitely also advise you further on this matter and your appointment in a few weeks will suffice. The biggest problem with gingival recession, is that once the gums have receded they unfortunately will never return to their original I do understand your concern but sadly age also plays a terrible role in this regard - lol. I hope this helps and wish you all the very best further, take care.

Kindest regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)

I am a General Dental Practitioner, with special interests in Cosmetic Dentistry & facial aesthetics and Periodontology, placing a strong emphasis on the establishment and maintenance of a healthy periodontium (the support structure of the tooth) before cosmetic options are considered. I uphold all principles of prevention above interventional treatment and try as far as possible, to remain conservative in my approach. I believe in detailed, open and honest patient discussion, establishing what the patients expectations are and what the reality is of achieving this and involving the patient at every level of the treatment. I have strong principles on ethical treatment and appropriate patient management. I have chosen to treat and rehabilitate many nervous and phobic patients, who, for whatever reason, find it impossible to take part in the very important task of even a routine check-up. I will accept questions relating to general and cosmetic dentistry (in conjunction with the use of facial cosmetic procedures) and dental fears/phobias. I will be more than willing to answer any academic questions in dentistry, biology, physiology, psychology and health sciences in general. As most dentists will tell you, there is often not only one way of dealing with a dental issue - so very often, there is no precise right and wrong way of approaching the problem. All clinicians vary when it comes to treatments and what works best in their hands is often the treatment that is advised. Be understanding of this and bear in mind that nothing lasts forever! Patients are happy to accept only a one-years warrantee when buying a new car, but seem to expect that dental work is going to last them their lifetime.

I have worked for many years in the UK and RSA as a general dental practitioner - within the NHS, private practice and the government dental health services. I am certificated for the administration of Botox and Dermal Fillers for facial lines and wrinkles as I have attended further courses in minimally invasive facial cosmetic procedures. I started seeing an increasing number of patients who presented with severe to moderate dental fears, even with full-blown phobias, so I started with the slow and patient task of tackling this problem and have successfully rehabilitated many patients. The key is good, effective, concise and understandable communication, shifting control from the dentist to the patient in order to slowly, but confidently, regain their trust back in dentistry, thereby giving them the feeling of achievement and this self-empowerment which drives them to the next level of treatment.

Academy of General Dentistry. American Dental Education Association. IAPAM (International Association for Physicians in Aesthetic Medicine). Professional Speakers, Writers and Managements Consultants in Dentistry. The British Dental Association. UK Aesthetics Group. ARC - Aesthetic Professionals. Botox. Aesthetics & Beauty. American Association for Dental Research. FDI - World Dental Federation. SOURCE1uk. World Dental Hygiene Forum. ProDentalCPD. Public Health Dentistry. Dentist Network. LinkedIn. Who's Who of South Africa.

B.Med.Sc. Degree (Medical Physiology and Medical Virology; Physiology Cum Laude; Stell 1994). B.Ch.D. Degree (Bachelor of Dental Surgery; Clinical Dentistry Cum Laude; Stell 1997). CPR and CPR-Advanced Courses (2000/2001; UK). Clinical Botox (UK, 2001). Cosmetic Dermatology (Botox and Dermal Fillers; RSA 2011).

Placed on the Dean's List at University for academic achievement (1994). Highest achievement in the subject Dental Materials. Medal from 3M and the Radiology Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Dental Radiology and Imaging. Medal from The Periodontal Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Periodontology. Highest achievement for Oral Medicine. Highest achievement in Oral Pathology. Received the DASA (Dental Ass. of South Africa) Gold Medal for highest achieving dental student across the 5 1/2 years of the Degree. Passed the subject, Clinical Dentistry with distinction in final year.