Dentistry/calification of teeth

Hi, I was wondering if you know about calification of teeth? The white stuff on teeth? Is that harmful when left there and how can we tell how it looks like? And will a regular 6 month cleaning get rid of it? thank you.

Kryssie - white areas on teeth are areas of a decrease in minerals.  It often occurs with an increase of acid in your mouth.  This can be from eating acidic foods or not drinking enough water during the day.

It is usually not dangerous and will go away if you eat normally, but increase the amount of fluids with the meal and after meals.  It can also be from excess fluoride usage.  It came develop if you are not cleaning your mouth adequately and bacteria in your mouth.  These bacteria produce acid during their feeding.  

So keeping your mouth very clean is probably the best chance of preventing whitening of spots on the teeth.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude