Dentistry/Gum pain

Question
Hi!5 years ago I had a root canal. Around 4 months ago I started having pain again. Finally, my dentist and I agreed to extract the tooth. 2 months after the removal, the pain returns. What could be the cause of my pain? It's mostly at night. It's like a throbbing sensation. No swelling, no redness. Just throbbing.

Answer
Hi Kourtney and thanks for your question.

I am sure you can appreciate the danger and difficulty of me giving you a definitive diagnosis without having the privilege to examine you personally and evaluate all other diagnostic tools. In my experience, it might be a good idea to get a referral to see a Maxillo-Facial and Oral surgeon to get this checked out in greater depth. We often see delayed wound healing in patients with underlying systemic conditions such as diabetes or with vitamin deficiencies, and in smokers. A dry-socket is such an example of a delayed and re-infected extraction tooth socket, which requires proper cleaning out and antibiotics placed inside as well as a course of antibiotics prescribed. If the extraction site has been fully examined radiologically for any signs of root remnants, associated bone fractures, possible sinus involvement, etc and nothing suspicious identified, then it may well be that your pain could be co-incidentally related to another tooth or have its origin in another area the mouth. Referred pain is pretty common in the mouth and can make diagnosis tricky sometimes. I hope this helps and wish you all the very best in resolving this issue speedily, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)