Dentistry/healing while wearing dentures

Question
I had all teeth upper & lower pulled with immediate dentures put in. I did not have any stitches in my gums, and was told to wear my dentures for the first week straight except for cleaning and rinsing my mouth with warm salt water. I am curious as to if I should continue to wear them all the time, or take them out while at home to help my gums heal faster. I will be getting soft liners as needed over the next several months as my gums heal and shrink before getting my permanent smile. my question is will my gums heal faster if I take them out or leave them in? or does it matter one way or the other? thanks for the help!
sincerely'
a proud new owner of a beautiful smile

Answer
Dear Kristen,

I'm sorry to hear you had to lose your teeth.   As to your question:  My cardinal rule about healing after extractions is to listen to your dentist, or to the surgeon who removed your teeth.  These are the people who best know you, your gums, and how your healing is proceeding.

Usually what I tell my patients who have had dentures placed immediately after tooth removal is that they leave their dentures in for at least the first few days after losing their teeth.  The dentures will act a a bandage to protect the healing gums.  Also, by wearing the dentures,  as the gums swell during healing, they swell to the shape of the inside of the dentures, and allow for better fit of the dentures to the gums.  As the gums change during healing, there will be times that the dentures may pinch the gums in areas, and the dentist will then be able to adjust them better.  And last, wearing the dentures without removing them allows you to adapt to wearing them more quickly.

Having said all that, you should ask your dentist your question.  Your dentist will give you advice more specific to your situation.  

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO