Dentistry/Tooth Extraction Healing

Pic 1
Pic 1  

Pic 2
Pic 2  

I had a molar removed, due to root canal happening over 10 years ago and the crown came out cracking the tooth and making it impossible to replace the crown. Extraction was 11 days ago and I'm worried that the blood cloth dissolved leaving a big hole. There is some tissue inside the hole but it is getting lower each day (been happening for the past 3 days). I was under the impression the clot would stay in the tooth at gum line and heal, but now there's just a hole and food gets stuck in there. No pain, but I'm still worried because I don't know what normal healing looks like etc.

I'm living in Thailand and just have some trust issues when it comes to anything medical, so I'm seeking some advice before I go back to the dentist just to have enough general knowledge. I may have scared myself with google searching but in your opinion does it look normal or is there something to be concerned about?

I have a lot of anxiety with anything dental so I hope haven't wasted your time.

Alana -  you are correct to be aware of a poor healing from an extraction.  It is a little difficult without an extract to say if the dentist left a piece of tooth in the socket after the extraction.  The is definitely a build up of debris and bacteria in that healing socket.  I don't know what instructions you were given for after the extraction to take care of the site.

You should be rinsing with warm salt water 3-4 times a day in the area of the extraction.  It is important to rinse in the morning after breakfast and at night before bedtime along with two other times during the day after meals.  Rinse that are and swish in that area with the warm salt water for about 2-3 minutes, 3-4 times a day.  

So try to warm saltwater first to clean the area and see if the internal of the socket begins to change to pink over 7-10 days.  If not, you need to have a dentist evaluate the area and determine if particles of tooth were left.  

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude