Last Friday I had a molar pulled. On Wednesday of this week i had to go back to the surgeon. I had dry socket and infection. He packed and gave me antibiotics. Now its Saturday morning, I am still in pain and I woke up to a mouth full of pus. When will this medicine work?

Crystal -  the surgeon should have seen you back within two days after placing the pack.  He then should have placed a new pack if appropriate or treatment should have been done appropriately.  The doctor should have given you instructions to immediately begin a strict regimen of warm salt water rinses.  If you were not told to do so, immediately begin the rinsing  4-5 times a day for about 2-3 minutes each time.   These instructions will promote a proper drainage of the pus and allow any medications given to work better against the infection.  

The doctor needs to see you immediately.  Do not wait.  If you have problems, get back to me and I will try to help you further.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude