Dentistry/healing

Question
Last Friday I had a molar pulled. On Wednesday of this week i had to go back to the surgeon. I had dry socket and infection. He packed and gave me antibiotics. Now its Saturday morning, I am still in pain and I woke up to a mouth full of pus. When will this medicine work?

Answer
Crystal -  the surgeon should have seen you back within two days after placing the pack.  He then should have placed a new pack if appropriate or treatment should have been done appropriately.  The doctor should have given you instructions to immediately begin a strict regimen of warm salt water rinses.  If you were not told to do so, immediately begin the rinsing  4-5 times a day for about 2-3 minutes each time.   These instructions will promote a proper drainage of the pus and allow any medications given to work better against the infection.  

The doctor needs to see you immediately.  Do not wait.  If you have problems, get back to me and I will try to help you further.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired