Hi Dr Howard,

A year ago, my dentist told me I have periodontitis. When I knew exactly what it is in full detail through the internet, I felt like my happy days are over. My dental problems (bad teeth) keeps me from socializing a lot, and now this. My dentist did clean up my teeth and prescribed me antibiotics and this mouthwash called Orahex and it did stop the bleeding and swelling of my gums and I was relieved (though I know periodontitis is still there). At a certain point I stopped taking these treatment (only for a month or 2 if I remember) as prescribed. Then short after, I went to another dentist to fix my teeth and install braces.

Here's my situation, I'm currently in Italy studying music, and I've been away for more than a year now. For some practical reasons I couldn't go back home. So I'm here busy with my studies and didn't mind to consult a dentist (i did only once, long story but anyway he did nothing helpful to my teeth). My gums starts to bleed again, and it looked unusual, and I just know what's happening - has my perio got worse? Dental care here is too expensive, and I'm quite traumatized with my last experience (last consultation). So now, I rely more on researching through the internet.

Question. Can I retake the prescription of my first dentist? The antibiotics, and the mouthwash just to slow down the damage of my teeth and gums due to this disease, until I get back home July next year to get a major treatment. If yes, how long can I take the prescription, and can I take any brand of antibiotics, and the mouthwash?

Gum disease is caused by debris and infection under the gums, plus the body's response to that debris and infection.  Without removing the debris and infection from under the gums, the gums can't heal and reattach to the teeth.

While mouthwash and antibiotics might slow the progression of gum disease, it does not clean out the gunk from under your gums.  Proper treatment and periodic reevaluations can allow the gums to heal. And because the disease is chronic and persistent, your gums need to be reviewed periodically.

You need to see a dentist and tell him or her you story and let them advise you as to which antibiotics and mouthwashes might work best for you. And how for how long you might use them.  

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.