Dentistry/after teeth are removed, what's next?

Question
Hello again, Dr. Kaufman

I'm following up on the your reply, where you agreed that to leave an empty space following extraction of 2 teeth  at the end of a row of teeth, is not acceptable.
The dentist suggested that a denture plate, removable at night, is one solution.

What do you think?

Thanks

Chris

Answer
Dear Chris:
Sorry for the delay.
Your dentist is correct.  One way to replace missing teeth is with a removable partial denture.
However, this is the entry level restoration.
A well fitted metal based, removable partial denture can serve you well for many years.  However, a one sided one, as it seems to be in your case, is much more uncomfortable and since it is imbalanced, it can result in damage to the rest of your teeth.  A transitional (plastic) denture IS NOT a final restoration and a "flexible" acrylic denture is not a long term restoration either.
The best way to replace missing teeth is with dental implants.
I recommend that you go to the specialist in this area: the Prosthodontist for a proper qualified second opinion.  Some prosthodontists also perform the implant surgery for you.  In my office I place the implants surgically and restore them with proper crown and bridges.
The only draw back of implant therapy is COST!
This is why I recommend that you go the the expert for an opinion first.  It will give you an idea as to the proper cost of the procedure and the affordability to you.
If you cannot afford a prosthodontist, your general dentist might be able to restore the implants that his oral surgeon or periodontist can place for you.  But go to a prosthodontist first.
www.gotoapro.org will have a link to a prosthodontist near you.
Best of luck,

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.