Dentistry/tooth extraction followed by ???

Hello, Dr. Kaufman!

I have a huge pocket in my gum, upper right side at the end of the tooth area.
I'm now on an antibiotic. I've been advised to have the two end teeth pulled.
The  dentist gives me the option of having nothing to replace the two teeth, or to insert a bridge in the empty space.

I'm puzzled...I would think that leaving an empty space adjacent to good teeth is an invitation to trouble, i.e., the tooth next to the empty space will quickly begin to wobble, and soon after, it will be loosened and have to be pulled!! and so on down the line of healthy teeth.

What is your opinion and suggestions?

Thank you.

Dear Chris:
You are absolutely correct, it is not advisable to just extract teeth and not have some sort of a dental restoration placed.
I do not know why your dentist has not suggest that to you to replace the extracted teeth.   That is a question that you must ask him.   In addition, the best way the best way to replace missing teeth is with implant-supported restorations..  That is usually the first option and treatment of choice When teeth are extracted.
Please go back to your dentist with this information or seek a second opinion from a prosthodontist who is the expert in this area.  Will have a link to a specialist near you.
Best of luck,

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.