Dentistry/White area on lip

Question
white spot on lip
white spot on lip  
I have an odd pale white thing on my lower lip, almost dead center, that is some on the lip and more on the inner lip. It's about the size or smaller than a pencil eraser, doesn't hurt at all, tho was tender a few days ago when I pressed my lip and used chapstick. It has a rough feel to it, tho that has improved.

It is not a canker sore or not anything like I've ever had! No indentation. No halo or ring around it. It almost has a clover design but swirled. The pale white spot doesn't look thick or like the pictures of Leukoplakia. I can't find any Google pictures that look like what I have.

Here are some things I've done in the last week that make me wonder if it could be trauma and NOT HURT. Since I found this by accident when putting on lipstick in the rear view mirror, I don't remember the time line of these events.

Two nights last week I woke long enough to know my lips had stuck to my night guard and was hurting my mouth. I just licked at them and went back to sleep.

I had made a pot pie for supper and rushed to eat. Put a chunk of chicken in my mouth which was very hot and instead of spitting it out, moved it quickly to between my lips, which hurt, and then spit it out.

I use an electric toothbrush and Crest Pro (which makes my mouth peel) and held the toothbrush between my lips for a few seconds.

I rub my face (exfoliate) with my towel after a hot shower and know that one day last week I rubbed my lips, too.

The hypochondriac and dental phobic me screams lip cancer but I've never smoked. I haven't drank alcohol even at social events for over 20 years. No HPV. Never had a cold sore. Got my Shingles vaccine. Female. Never used a tanning booth and always 99% of the time, wear lipstick if I go out. NEVER used gloss.

Other than age, I have no risk factors for the usual lip cancers.

Answer
Hi Diane and thanks for your question.

I am sure you can appreciate the danger and difficulty of me giving you a definitive diagnosis without having the privilege of examining you personally.  A physical examination of the characteristics of the lesion are vital in establishing a differential diagnosis, which is usually confirmed by gradual elimination and via biopsy of the lesion. For this reason I would strongly advise you to get your dentist to check this out in greater detail and even get a referral to see a specialist in oral medicine for confirmation, which would give you the peace of mind that you deserve over this matter. From what you have explained, you certainly do not have any of the major risk factors for developing oral cancer and the description of the lesion does not match that of typical oral cancer but given the wide range of presentations thereof, I suggest getting absolute confirmation on the matter. It does seem to either be leucoplakia or a area of possible trauma - mechanical, heat or friction related - which could be in the healing phase and presenting as a pale scar-like area. I hope this helps and hope you appreciate my hesitance to either mis-diagnose or mis-inform you on the matter with the limited information available. I wish you all the very best, take care.

Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)