Dentistry/Abutement

Question
I had a dental impact placed 6 months ago... on friday I had the aubtement placed and it fell out in less than a day.... what does that mean? The oral surgeon will replace on monday. BUt is this common, how did it happen? will the whole implant fail?

Answer
Ellen - it means that the doctor did not place the abutment correctly, the abutment was the incorrect size or the doctor did not adjust it so your bite did not affect it.  This is not necessarily a bad situation, as long as the doctor does it correctly.  

The whole implant should be fine as long as the abutment that is placed is correct and does not place excess pressure on the implant.  Most likely he did not place it correctly.  

Tell the doctor that it fell out and you want him to make sure it is done correctly this time.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired