Dentistry/Crown and Root Canal

Question
The back part of my upper R. first molar broke off on 26/1/2015. My dentist tapped this tooth (I did not feel pain) and looked at the X-ray, and then said that root canal was not necessary. He said that filling and a crown would be necessary. He also said that after fitting the crown I should have regular checking. He said that removing the crown would break it and damage the tooth, thus if there are problems in the future he would make a hole in the crown and do root canal.

I feel that if root canal is not necessary I prefer not to do it. However, will making a hole in the crown break the crown, weaken the crown (and therefore the chewing ability of the tooth) and allow bacteria to enter ?

On the other hand, if one opts for the root canal treatment, is it that after doing the root canal treatment, a post would be placed in the root canal and make the crown stronger (than the tooth without RCT), more able to chew , and also prevent dental problems from happening ?

Doctor, what do you think: RCT or no RCT ? Is this dentist right ?

Answer
dear dorothy,
the act of placing a crown on a tooth after doing a filling is routine practise in fractured teeth.
sometimes due to bacterial infection or undiagnosed irreversible injury to the nerve of a tooth, may lead to infection and subsequent act of root canal either through the crown or without it.
making a hole in a crown is somewhat detremental to the strength of the crown but not as much that this procedure not be done.
the act of placement of post does not improove the strength of the tooth in any way, its a way to retain a filling better and not to increase the strength.
i cant comment on the rct bit because i havent seen you. please take second opinion if you are not satisfied with your doctor's opinion.
best wishes

Dentistry

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS