Dentistry/Crown and Root Canal

The back part of my upper R. first molar broke off on 26/1/2015. My dentist tapped this tooth (I did not feel pain) and looked at the X-ray, and then said that root canal was not necessary. He said that filling and a crown would be necessary. He also said that after fitting the crown I should have regular checking. He said that removing the crown would break it and damage the tooth, thus if there are problems in the future he would make a hole in the crown and do root canal.

I feel that if root canal is not necessary I prefer not to do it. However, will making a hole in the crown break the crown, weaken the crown (and therefore the chewing ability of the tooth) and allow bacteria to enter ?

On the other hand, if one opts for the root canal treatment, is it that after doing the root canal treatment, a post would be placed in the root canal and make the crown stronger (than the tooth without RCT), more able to chew , and also prevent dental problems from happening ?

Doctor, what do you think: RCT or no RCT ? Is this dentist right ?

dear dorothy,
the act of placing a crown on a tooth after doing a filling is routine practise in fractured teeth.
sometimes due to bacterial infection or undiagnosed irreversible injury to the nerve of a tooth, may lead to infection and subsequent act of root canal either through the crown or without it.
making a hole in a crown is somewhat detremental to the strength of the crown but not as much that this procedure not be done.
the act of placement of post does not improove the strength of the tooth in any way, its a way to retain a filling better and not to increase the strength.
i cant comment on the rct bit because i havent seen you. please take second opinion if you are not satisfied with your doctor's opinion.
best wishes

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS

rootcanals, cosmetic dentistry, dental pain, cavities, tooth colored fillings, endodontic diagnosis, post & cores, ceramic veneers, composite fillings, dental whitening, bleaching etc. please remember: i cannot treat you online and neither can i touch your teeth or test their health! i can give you general suggestions and critically evaluate various treatments and offer my advice.

14 years of clinical experience. i am a professor in a postgraduate dental school, in the department of endodontics. my primary field of specialization is in endodontics and conservative dentistry. i am a consultant endodontist in private dental clinics and run my own clinic restricted to conservative dentistry & endodontics since 2006.

DENTAL SPA, JAIPUR (INDIA). Mahatma Gandhi Dental College, jaipur(india)

new york state dental journal journal of contemporary dental practise

BDS, MDS (conservative dentistry & endodontics)