Dentistry/dental implant needs another bone graft

Hi  I had a bone graft for an implant on tooth #8 eight weeks ago. I had a cleaning 3 weeks ago and the dentist's receptionist called to tell me that after looking at an x-ray, the dentist decided that I need another bone graft at an additional cost to me.  I am already being charged $3,500.
The dentist never came in to see me during the cleaning which is not what I am used to compared to other dentistry up North (New York.  
I have an appointment on 4/7 and will be asking him to see x-ray and why he thinks I need to pay for another graft, especially since it was never mentioned as a possibility in the written estimate,    What do you think?

Dear Joe:
I am sorry that I cannot comment on the need for another bone graft, since I cannot look at your X-rays and cannot physically examine you.  However, I can comment on the process.
No matter the cost, the dentist has an obligation to you to discuss treatment and the rationale for it.  It is called informed consent.  
Bone and soft tissue grafts are not 100% successful.  Many times multiple procedures are necessary to produce a perfect, and sometimes only a satisfactory result.
However, as I said, these details should be discussed PRIOR to any treatment and any financial commitments by you.
You MUST talk to your dentist and set this straight.  The most common problem with an implant in tooth #8 position is the lack of bone to the facial (outward to the front). That cannot be ascertained by an X-ray.  It can only be ascertained by a physical examination, and if there are any doubts by a CT scan.
Please talk to your dentist PRIOR to any other work to be done.
If you are not satisfied, please go to any specialist (Prosthodontist, Periodontist, Oral surgeon) for a second opinion.
Best of luck,

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.