Dentistry/dentures

Question
I have been told my dentures will not stay in because of my gums. I have had two opinions, and one said the only recourse is to get "snaps".

Right now I have to apply denture cream every time before I eat.

(I am 71 years old).

Answer
Dear Tom,

I don't see a question here.  So I'll assume that you want to know if you need "snaps"  or even if you need new dentures.

About "snaps", which I am interpreting to mean "implants" that will hold your dentures firmly in place, as well as prevent them from placing undue pressure on your gums that often leads to bone loss in your jaws.
I recommend these to patients who have difficulty wearing dentures without them.  If they cannot chew, if they are constantly sore, or if they are loose, and if the patient cannot or will not use cream or paste to help hold them in.  Also implants will allow me to remove the part of the upper denture that covers the palate.  Many people say that this palate cover does not allow them to taste food as they used to.  If you choose snaps, know that the soft part of the snaps will need to be changed about once a year.  So much for snaps.

If a new denture is offered,there are several questions I ask:
Is it comfortable?  Does it create sores in your mouth?  Does it look good (is the look acceptable to the patient)?  Are you satisfied with the way it chews?  Are you satisfied with the way it fits your mouth?  Dies it retain harmful fungus and bacteria inside the acrylic (giving an orange-to-brown-to-black appearance that can't be removed from the denture)?  Does it cause inflammatory response in your gums that you cannot feel, but that i can see?

If any of these questions are answered in a way that is detrimental to my patient, I will usually recommend a new set of dentures.  If you have worn your old dentures comfortably for several years, new dentures, even if they are made well, often take some time getting used to.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO