Dentistry/exposed dentin

I have exposed dentin towards the roots of my molars. It is becoming more and more sensitive and even throbs from time to time. I initially thought is was because I have some gum recession, but recently the dentist looked at my x-ray and said it looked like I had bone loss due to my braces when I was a teen (he said my tooth is far from the bone or something like that). Is there anything that can be done about it besides a filling or a root canal? I've never had a root canal and am afraid. I take very good care of my teeth and the 2 dentists both said they can see that.

ally -  It is a little difficult for me to tell you if the gum and bone loss is due to braces or a combination of braces and the method of cleaning and brushing your teeth.  Needless to say, the exposed root material can have the sensitivity reduced with toothpastes like sensodyne, but your dentist can alos use a sealant on the exposed roots to decrease the sensitivity.  This can be repeated, but your dentist should prescribe a high fluoride toothpaste.  So see your dentist and ask him about applying a sealing to reduce sensitivity and protect the roots.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude