Dentistry/exposed dentin

Question
I have exposed dentin towards the roots of my molars. It is becoming more and more sensitive and even throbs from time to time. I initially thought is was because I have some gum recession, but recently the dentist looked at my x-ray and said it looked like I had bone loss due to my braces when I was a teen (he said my tooth is far from the bone or something like that). Is there anything that can be done about it besides a filling or a root canal? I've never had a root canal and am afraid. I take very good care of my teeth and the 2 dentists both said they can see that.

Answer
ally -  It is a little difficult for me to tell you if the gum and bone loss is due to braces or a combination of braces and the method of cleaning and brushing your teeth.  Needless to say, the exposed root material can have the sensitivity reduced with toothpastes like sensodyne, but your dentist can alos use a sealant on the exposed roots to decrease the sensitivity.  This can be repeated, but your dentist should prescribe a high fluoride toothpaste.  So see your dentist and ask him about applying a sealing to reduce sensitivity and protect the roots.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired