Dentistry/Gum Bone Chip

Question
I went to the dentist to have a bad tooth removed. He x-rayed and said the root was still good so he didn't pull it but lowered it to the gum line and glued a cap on it. Then later on I could feel something in the gum line directly under where he put the cap on. They said it was a cyst and nothing to worry about. It kept getting bigger and so I went to an oral surgeon and he said it is a bone chip. I had it removed but it cost about $650.00 and was very painful. I asked him if what the dentist did could cause it but he would not say much as they are in the same work.

I think the dentist didn't clean the tooth good as the surgeon told me to tell the dentist when I go back to him that there is decay under the cap.

What do you think about this?

Answer
John -  I hate to tell you this but the dentist does not seem very skilled or knowledgeable.  Anytime a tooth was prepared fro a crown, the bone should not have been cut.  It seems he cut the bone in cutting the tooth.  Not good!  The surgeon should have been more honest with you.  The dentist should be contacted to have him reimburse you for the $650 due to his error.  If not, seeing an attorney might be a good idea.

I wish I could help you more, but you should not have to pay for your dentist's error.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired