Dentistry/Gum Bone Chip

I went to the dentist to have a bad tooth removed. He x-rayed and said the root was still good so he didn't pull it but lowered it to the gum line and glued a cap on it. Then later on I could feel something in the gum line directly under where he put the cap on. They said it was a cyst and nothing to worry about. It kept getting bigger and so I went to an oral surgeon and he said it is a bone chip. I had it removed but it cost about $650.00 and was very painful. I asked him if what the dentist did could cause it but he would not say much as they are in the same work.

I think the dentist didn't clean the tooth good as the surgeon told me to tell the dentist when I go back to him that there is decay under the cap.

What do you think about this?

John -  I hate to tell you this but the dentist does not seem very skilled or knowledgeable.  Anytime a tooth was prepared fro a crown, the bone should not have been cut.  It seems he cut the bone in cutting the tooth.  Not good!  The surgeon should have been more honest with you.  The dentist should be contacted to have him reimburse you for the $650 due to his error.  If not, seeing an attorney might be a good idea.

I wish I could help you more, but you should not have to pay for your dentist's error.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude