Dentistry/Back molar too short for crown to grip

Question
QUESTION: My lower L. 2nd molar at the back (#37) was badly damaged, had root canal treatment and filling and was then fitted with a crown in 2009. In 2012 this crown started to come off very often. My dentist said that my molar (height ~1 mm above gum line) was very short. Each time this crown came off it was recemented, but the last time on 24/12/2014 it was swallowed while eating. There is no LL tooth #38, and LL 1st molar (#36) had root canal treatment and was fitted with a crown in 2007 and has had no problem. The LL second bicuspid is perfect and does not even have a filling.

Will the upper opposing molar grow downward ? Will the tooth in front (lower L. 1st molar #36) shift ?

What are my options ?

ANSWER: I am not certain of your numbering system but I think I get the idea.  The honest answer to your question is that I don't know.  It does happen but if the contact points (where the teeth fit against adjacent teeth) are tight enough then probably not.  I have seen rapid shifting of these teeth but also I've seen them last a very long time without a problem.  Certainly 1 mm is not enough to keep a crown in place.  Since you have a good first molar and premolar I'd take my chances and if they move then have them taken out.  Your other option is implant which is expensive and time consuming.  I think I'd wait and see if they moved and then decide on removing them as long as you can eat well on the first molar and bicuspid.

QUESTION: Sorry if I got the teeth numbering system wrong. What I meant was that at the back of the lower left quadrant of my mouth, there is no 3rd molar, and from front to back, I have the perfect 2nd bicuspid, the crowned 1st molar and the extremely short 2nd molar.

What are my options to fix the LL  extremely short LL 2nd molar ? If it can put on a crown then all the problems will be solved. Is it that this molar is near to the mandibular nerve and that the dental implant option is not viable ?

Answer
To know if an implant is viable there is hard to say without x-rays and study but you do have an option. There is a procedure called a crown lengthening procedure which removes a little gum tissue and artificially lengthens the tooth to make a crown. Other than that implants would work but I doubt you need it as I think that lengthening this tooth will do what you need to have done.

Dentistry

Thomas Karmen