Dentistry/possible root canal failure...abscess?

Question
I am 43 and had root canals done one my 4 front bottom teeth when I was 18.  I just moved and got a new dentist. They did a full set of x-rays.  First they wondered why no crowns.  I was never told to get any.  My teeth also never really darkened. Maybe one shade but nothing noticeable.  Now for the problem.  They said in the x-ray there was a dark area around 3 of the teeth indicating an abscess and that it appears chronic and it has probably been going on for years. They said the original dentist did not fill the canals completely. I have no pain or swelling and was completely unaware that there may be a problem. They said that's normal because the nerve is dead from the r/c.  They recommend removing all 4 and getting implants or a partial. Could the dark spot be damage from an abscess that I had a within a year after the original work was done?  Does their diagnosis and recommended treatment sound right. I remember my first abscess in the same spot hurt like hell,  why would this be any different? I would absolutely appreciate any input or advice I could get.  Thanks!

Answer
Richard,
simply put you need a second opinion.
Especially when you have been asymptomatic and the new dentist tells you the old dentist didn't do things properly.
Your question is not one I can answer without seeing x-rays and examining you myself.
Your instincts are what will help you the most, if there is any question in your mind , even though it is sometimes hard to do, get another opinion.
All the best,
Dr. Moss

Dentistry

Stephen J. Moss