Dentistry/Wisdom teeth/facial aesthetics

Question
Hi Dr. Tieg,

I was wondering if it was possible for 3rd molar extractions to change the face? A dentist told me you lose 2-4mm in facial height/width for any tooth extraction and I am completely despondent over this..I think my face has gotten narrower/less full as well..I think I'm going to through with getting dental implants to regenerate the bone/restore my normal face. (Though I know it's not usually done) What are your thoughts on this? Thanks so much for your time and expertise.

Answer
Victoria -it is true that certain teeth that are removed can alter facial dimensions and appearance.  There are only eight teeth that are considered the foundation for the bite and face.  These teeth are the four first molars (also called the twelve year molars) and the four eye teeth.

The 3rd molars are definitely known not to be part of foundation.  The dentist who told you this is either very stupid or not honest and reliable.  First molar implants might be necessary to support the facial structure, but not the wisdom teeth.  So forget the implants for facial changes.

Please feel free to get back to me if you have any further questions.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired