Dentistry/Wisdom teeth facial changes

Question
Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me itf bone reabsorption/jaw changes occur when wisdom teeth extraction? I think I've noticed some of these changes in myself and am consequently looking into dental implants to get my natural face back. Thanks so much.

Answer
Dear Victoria.
On the contrary to popular belief, the removal of wisdom teeth does not alter the appearance of your face. Wisdom teeth are located at the end of the upper jaw and anatomically the ramus, the upper portion of the lower jaw is what supports the cheek. Same as the case for the lower wisdom tooth which is located lingual, towards the tongue and to the outside is bound by the same upper portion of the lower jaw. Most wisdom teeth are removed around the age of majority 18-23 where many physical changes take place in the appearance of the face of both man and women. This is why people think that removal of wisdom teeth changes your face. I donít know anything about you and unfortunately I cannot examine you but it is highly unlikely that the changes that you are noticing on your face are the result of wisdom tooth removal. It is incredibly rare that anyone replaces wisdom teeth with implants. Wisdom teeth are also not as functional in chewing, since most of our chewing is done on the second pre-molars and first molars. With this insight, if you are still uncertain, I advise you to go and see a Prosthodontist in order to have a professional actually look at you. Best of luck.

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.