Dentistry/Brushing and gum recession

Question
Hello. I'm a 58 year old male with receding gums. I floss, chew Xylitol gum, have regular cleanings and always use a "boil and bite" mouth guard when sleeping. In order to avoid contributing to further recession I use an electric toothbrush with a soft-bristled head held lightly at a 45 degree angle at the gum line, and try not to brush too long. However, if I minimize actual brushing time to avoid putting pressure on the gums, I can feel and see that a certain amount of plaque remains, especially where crowns meet the gum, and of course plaque can eventually contribute to gum recession. So I feel caught between a rock and a hard place. How can I not contribute to gum recession through brushing? Thank you.

Answer
Hello Bill,

It sounds like you are doing all the right things to brush and take care of your teeth.  You are brushing consistently, using a soft bristled head, flossing, and getting regular checkups. And you even use the "boil and bite" mouth guard cleaning process to prevent infection.

Now, because your gums are receding, you should probably take this beyond your regular dentist.  A visit to a Periodontist would be a wise investment of your time and money.  As you may be aware, a Periodontist focuses more on soft tissue that supports the teeth, and prevention of gum disease.  There are many remedies that a Periodontist can offer such as bone grafting or tissue recontouring.

Let me know what you find out!  Good luck!

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble